Monday, July 14, 2008

Corn


Yesterday in the farmers market I bought few corn cobs. I have so many Good memories associated with them...

With the first shower of Monsoon rains I used to run home from school and ask dad for corn. In our place we call it Makka Butta". (Well I am Hyderabad - India) The vendors who sold the corn had a typical set up. They used to have wooden cart, which was basically a wooden board placed on a metal frame and which moved on four cycle tyres. It allowed the vendors to have mobility so that they can move from street to street and sell they goods.On the cart there was an iron container which holds burning coal. On this red burning coal corn is roasted. Taste of a corn done in this way is so good - hmmm my mouth is watering with these thoughts... The cart had enough space to store up some 70 to 100 corn cobs and enough char coal.

Selecting the right corn was a ritual to Dad. He would press and see for a good quality corn in this initial selection only 2-3 corns were discarded and then if he liked the feel of a corn he will remove the cover a bit and look at the corn beads. They should look good and feel good. They should not be too soft or too hard. Small beads will just melt away on your mouth, they will be sweets but then you will not have nothing to munch and if the corn is too hard it will be tough to chew and taste will not be good and more importantly it will be no fun!!! So dad will select only the 'good' corn and give it to the vendor. He will then remove its cover and place it on the hot charcoal. From time to time it will be roasted such that corn is done in all sides evenly. When its done it rubbed with lemon which is dipped in a bit of salt and chili powder. These add up with the sweet taste of corn and provide you a delicious delight... When you hold the corn in your hand you can feel the warmth and the smell is inviting you to just dig-in.

When Dad used to buy me corn mum always said "Why do you buy her that now, She will not eat any thing for dinner..." Well mum, now i am having corn for lunch :-) Its a whole meal for me. Its nutritious and it tastes Good with capital G :-)

Corn is best enjoyed during the rainy season, with temperatures coming down and having hot corn cob in your hand is magic. For me rains meant corn and vice verse. Here in California I cant get the vendors who will roast me the corn. Some day I will try roasting the corn on a barbecue grill for now I eat it raw. It does not have the same taste but then its the corn and for now that enough for me...

See how one Innocent looking corn cob can wrap up so many memories in it. That was the nostalgic trip I took for today. I munched up my corn, enjoyed it alot and shared these memories with you... Hope you had as much fun as I had writing it...

That's all for now.

Enjoy and have lots and lots of fun...

Bye.

1 comment:

Shruthi said...

Hey, lovely post! You painted a beautiful image of your father selecting the corn, and getting it roasted! :D

Btw, here is one more way to eat corn, take a sharp knife and scrape away all the corn beads from the core, microwave it for a couple of minutes, with salt. then add butter and lime or pepper or whatever, and have. i know it doesn't give the taste of the roasted one, but it is delicious nonetheless :)