Monday, July 28, 2008

Chat Bhandar

            In Hyderabad there is a chat bandar called Gokul Chat Bandar. Here you can get every verity of mouth watering chat. What makes this place so unique is the verity of items that it offers and the price. You can find the items like Mirchi, Pav Bhaji, Pani Puri, Somosa , Cachori, Ragada, Bhel Puri, Save Puri etc. Some items are served in sweet-cold yogurt. This yogurt verities are not that spicy and yogurt adds that bit of extra flavor. All these items are priced in the range of Rs 20 - 25. 
            The Chat Bandar is situated in the busy locality of Koti Bazar. This place is know for Big collages, General hospitals, shopping area and traffic. Many people visit this place especially students. I have gone to this place so many time. During college and after that as well. Almost for every treat this was the place to be. Who can resist yummy food !!! Because of the price at which these are offered we could offered it within our allowance. 
            I have tried out almost all the varieties that are offered on the menu. I don't like spicy food but still I eat all the hot items and then I cool off with a dhai puri or any of the milder sank. So every time I go there I end up eating two plates :-) After eating my favorite 'snaks' I happily go home and skip my dinner :-))
            Because of the popularity of this place its always crowded. Initially it was a 2-3 rooms shop where all the cooking was done. Costumers used to stand on the foot path and eat. There is some place behind the shop where 20-30 people can stand and eat. Now the shop has expanded, sitting arrangement is provided in first and the second floor. It has the restaurant kind of atmosphere.  As you can expect I like the old way, nothing can beat the experience of holding a hot plate in your one hand and balancing you back pack and eating while having a conversation with your mouthful with your friends. That sounds gross but these are the experience that stay with you... (Yeah... you can call me nuts!)
            As a popular hang out this place also has suffered some tragic events. These being the closure of the place by the municipal authorities and the 2007, bomb blast. Few years back the place was closed down for health concerns. Municipal office said that the food was not prepared in hygienic manner. The shop was cleaned up and it opened soon and with in no time the business was as usual. In August 2007 there were two bomb blast within few minutes in Hyderabad. One was in Lumbini park and other was at Gokul Chat bandar. At least Forty people were killed in these blasts. It was closed for more than two months. After the investigation and major reconstruction it was reopened. This time security guard is placed and backpack are not allowed inside. And the life goes on...
            I was so happy when the chat bandar was reopened. It shows that we are not scared. The terrorist cannot rule our lives. Ha how my post has change... All I wanted to write was how much I like the food at Gokul. Yeah I miss the food and all the good times I had there. Next time when I go home i will definitely go there and eat to my hearts content. This is one of the thing i miss about my home. I have been raving about chats and all but the best food I have eaten till now is the one that my mom makes... Its right - "We appreciate the things only when they are lost."

No comments: